[wplug] figuring out where mail sent from your box came from

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 18 20:58:06 EST 2005

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:45:09 -0500
Duncan Hutty <dhutty+wplug at ece.cmu.edu> wrote:

> On 11/18/2005 11:14 AM, Bill Moran wrote:
> > Russ Schneider <russ at sugapablo.com> wrote:
>

> >>As for an open relay, I thought I had prevented this with the following

[SNIP]: conversation

Just test it yourself.  RFC 821 isn't that difficult, connect
with telnet and pass it some generic stuff.

Email by command line, while you're an open relay is easy
to mess with, too few requirements.

In fact, the only SMTP commands that need to be defined are:
(Straight from RFC)

MAIL <SP> FROM:<reverse-path> <CRLF>
RCPT <SP> TO:<forward-path> <CRLF>

After that, telling the SMTP server to begin receiving data for the
actual message, where any of the headers can be changed, including:

From:, To:, Subject:, Reply-To:, etc ... the list goes on.

Try it, see if you can send email through your machine.

--
Tom Rhodes