[wplug] Could not log into the original home directory after installation

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Mon Nov 14 14:56:25 EST 2005

On Nov 14, 2005, at 2:20 PM, Deliang Shi wrote:

> I create the old account and assign the old home directory to it.
> But if I try to log in as this account,
> it says there are some installation problems then log me out.
> I tried the same and different numeric IDs for these two accounts.
> I can log in to the new home directory /home/user1,
> and could not log in to the old directory /home/home/user2.

- You must have the same numeric IDs as the owner of the home
directory.  Change that in /etc/passwd.

- Try logging in on the console.  Hit shift-control-alt-F1 to escape
from the graphical log in to the text console.  If you can log in
there, but not in graphical mode, it's likely that the Gnome/KDE
configuration from FC1 is broken enough that it is failing when you
try to log in using the newer software.  You will have to remove the
appropriate files.

- You might also want to try switching to another desktop manager
from the graphical login manager if you are able to log in at the
text console.

- If you cannot log in at the graphical console, then you should at
least be able to log in as root at the graphical console.  At the
text console or in an Xterm, try typing 'su -l _username_', replacing
_username_ with the name of the user account you created.  It will
ask you the password for the user account you just created.

Email the list the errors you see from that command.