[wplug] [wplug-announce] 1st annual membership meeting

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Nov 14 10:16:24 EST 2005

"Matthew J. Hughes" <mhues at verizon.net> wrote:

> I have a question. I attend meetings with a regular infrequency. I have
> to the best of my knowledge been paid up to date. And usually if I am
> present at a meeting I will partake in funding the pizza. So my question
> is, "Am I going to be notified of when my dues lapse?" and if they do
> lapse and I am unaware of it but attend a meeting and participate in the
> funding, "will they be automagically renewed?"

This is somewhat up in the air at this point.

The previous board (Mark and Beth Lynn) decided on the first year dues.
As I understand it, having paid your $5 basically pays your dues through
November 2006.

The new board has the ability to adjust the dues at any time, with the
approval of the membership.  This is currently not even on our todo list.
I doubt we'll even try to do anything about the dues unless we can come
up with a reason to spend money.  Any expenditures have to be approved by
the membership, so nothing sneaky can happen there. (1)

Everyone will be reminded in advance of the next election meeting that
their dues are due.  If you (somehow) miss the election meeting, or aren't
able to pay in advance, you have some time after your dues are past due
to pay without any penalty (I don't remember the exact time limit, see
the bylaws if you're curious - search for "arrears", I don't think that
word occurs anywhere else in the bylaws).

(1) Slightly more detail on how the board is allowed to spend money.  Since
    the purpose of the new bylaws is to allow WPLUG to be a member-run
    organization, without the members having to constantly be involved in
    the day-to-day management, expenditures are run like this: The
    membership must approve "programs", which are broad plans on how to
    spend money.  The board then has the authority to spend money as
    allowed by approved programs.  In this way, the membership is in
    control, but doesn't have to bother with the day-to-day details.
    See the bylaws for the authoritative explanation.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies