[wplug] Spam question

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 21:17:26 EST 2005

On 11/1/05, Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org> wrote:
> On Oct 30, 2005, at 11:34 PM, Zach wrote:
> > I have 4,520 messages in my Spam folder :-(
>
> I know spam is a pain.  But there really isn't a proven, simple way
> to eliminate spam.  It's a constant battle, spammers find a new
> angle, anti-spam finds a way to block or tag it, spammers find a way
> around it, anti-spam adjusts appropriately.  I hate to say it, but
> you have to keep on your toes if you want to maintain an appropriate
> anti-spam system.  The spammers have virtually unlimited bandwidth
> and too much patience.

OK, since this thread has trickled on for days - I'll throw in my little bit.

I've been using bogofilter, which is a straight bayesian analyzer.
Like Jonathan (and others) said, it's not perfect - but it's been able
to reduce the hundreds to occational few that I have to deal with
(only false negatives for more than a couple years now).  I keep my
spam in a folder and retrain every 6-12 months, invoking it to
autosort (not autodelete) with procmail.

Overall, it's been a minimum of fuss and deals with most of the cruft.
 If I wasn't so lazy, i mean .. uh .. busy, I'm sure some other
fancier solutions would work even better - but I've been extremely
happy with just bogofilter. (btw, I'm not a developer - this isn't an
ad)

I'm not doing anything to fancy, but if someone wants details of my
setup - I'll happily comply on request.

Cameron

http://bogofilter.sourceforge.net/