[wplug] Install session May 21st

Bobbie Eicher bobbie.eicher at gmail.com
Thu May 12 14:42:03 EDT 2005

Andy,

Welcome to the list!

A few other people have already mentioned what you need to bring to an
installfest.  We keep a set of CDs in binders with assorted versions
of Linux distributions on them.  We also generally have some blank CDs
around so that we can burn additional ones as needed (several of us
have CD burners, so finding a computer to do it on usually isn't an
issue).  If we know in advance that something is needed, frequently
there'll be someone on the list who already has it and is willing to
bring their copy along to the installfest.

Installfests tend to be spent doing anything legal on our computers
that we find fun and/or useful to do while hanging out with the group.
 At the last one, for example, I ran Virtual PC on my Powerbook (OS X)
and spent the day playing around with the installers for FreeBSD,
Fedora, and Gentoo.

People might be able to give you better feedback on what distribution
to try out if you give some more detail on what kind of hardware you
intend to use and what your goals are.  For example, I personally
wouldn't be inclined to start a new Linux user on Gentoo unless they
were really serious about getting down into the guts of a system as
fast as possible and weren't likely to be intimidated by a computer.
My general theory for new Linux users is that the most important thing
is to make it as easy as possible to install and do all of the day to
day tasks in Linux (email, web browsing, whatever) and that way you
can get comfortable and wander into the command line or install more
complicated programs whenever you happen to be feeling adventurous.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much over picking the exactly right
distribution.  If you decide you don't like one that much, switching
isn't all that tough, your needs and preferences will change over time
anyway, and you're likely to gain a lot more from spending your time
on actually playing with a system -- even if it turns out not to be
the best possible one -- than you will from spending that same amount
of time at the start trying to figure out which one is the best
possible choice anyway.

- Bobbie Lynn