[wplug] anyone build x.org X11 from source?

Rob Prowel tempest766 at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 21:27:20 EDT 2005

I'm in the process of trying to prototype a lean mean linux distro that can be put onto a cdrom and optionally will store its configuration files on volatile storage like a hard drive or USB keychain device.  This will give me a solid base for creating distros that are tailored to specific purposes: web browser, network diagnostics laptop, data collection machine, dedicated firewall, etc.

Most is going well, but I'm trying to build the latest x.org X11 code in a cleanroom linux instance that I set up and the build bombs with errors.

in short, I get about 20 minutes into the build (on a dual processor Xeon 2.8Ghz machine) and it bombs, telling me that certain support modules are not found or have not been built...and forget about trying a parallel build with a makefile this complicated!  I tried a "make clean" in an (extras) subdirectory and the thing recursively gobbled up all my memory and crashed.  For those wondering, the extras that are required include: zlib, mesa, xpm, freetype2, fontconfig (has always been a source of frustration for me!), expat, and others.  the extras are included in the codebase but are not being consistently pre-compiled by the makefiles...so about 20 minutes into the build it fails because a required "extra" library or header file wasn't installed yet.

anyone in this forum have any experience building X11 from source?

I thought I'd listen to the internet mass consensus and jump ship from xfree to try the x.org codebase but am beginning to reevaluate that decision.

thoughts?