[wplug] dsl setup

Greg Akins gakins at insomnia-consulting.org
Tue May 10 16:51:48 EDT 2005

> For Linux, you should simply be able to do a DHCP_REQUEST and get a
> private address (192.168.1.x for the Westell 2200 series) as Cameron
> stated.  I'm not sure how you'd handle the initial setup on Linux
> though.  They make you jump through a lot of hoops and sign-up garbage.
> I'd be curious to see how that's done.  My guess is that you'd have to
> do it via a win32 box first.

I just helped a friend setup his Verizon DSL.  They send a disk that has to be
run in Windows to activate the account.

After I did that however, I just turned on my Linux laptop (already setup for
DHCP) and it connected with no problems.  In fact it was easier than getting the
second and third Windows boxes configured (go figure;')

Greg Akins
Insomnia Consulting
www.insomnia-consulting.org