[wplug] On the subject of wardriving...

Richard Farina r.farina at adelphia.net
Tue Mar 29 15:53:35 EST 2005

My Definition:

Wardriving: The act of purposly searching for wireless networks in an area
and noticing characteristics of those networks.  Mapping may be involved
but is not required.

This definition does not require that wardriving be the only purpose of the
trip, one can wardrive on the way to the store, or to work.  But accessing
peoples networks past initial (accidental) association (in the case of
netstumbler) is NOT wardriving.  At this point it becomes hacking/cracking
depending on intent.  IMHO, it is only at this point that it can be
considered against the law.  Windows XP will associtate with any network in
range and begin a process to DHCP, thank god this is a linux users group,
otherwise we might all be a bunch of law breakers!

-Rick Farina

Wardriving is an activity consisting of driving around with a
<http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Laptop>laptop or a
<http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Personal_digital_assistant>PDA in
one's vehicle, detecting <http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Wi-Fi>Wi-Fi
<http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Wireless_network>wireless networks.
It is also known (as of <http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/2002>2002) as
<http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/WiLDing>WiLDing (Wireless Lan
Driving), originating in the USA with the Bay Area Wireless Users Group
(BAWUG). It is similar to using a scanner for
<http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Radio>radio. Most wardrivers will use
<http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/GPS>GPS devices to find the exact
location of the network found and log it on a
<http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Website>website. For better range,
<http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Antenna_%28electronics%29>antennas
are built or bought, and vary from omnidirectional to fully directional.
<http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Computer_software>Software for
wardriving is freely available on the
<http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Internet>internet, notably,
<http://www.netstumbler.com>NetStumbler (http://www.netstumbler.com) for
<http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Microsoft_Windows>Windows,
<http://www.macstumbler.com>MacStumbler (http://www.macstumbler.com) for
<http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Apple_Macintosh>Macintosh, and
<http://www.kismetwireless.net>Kismet (http://www.kismetwireless.net) for
<http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Linux>Linux.

Wardriving shares similarities to
<http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Wardialing>Wardialing in name only.

While some wardrivers do engage in malicious activity, the average
wardriver is typically only out to log and collect information from the
Access Points (AP's) they find while driving. Even so, most Companies would
not want details of their unsecured and 'open to all' WLAN posted onto the
Internet for all to see (would you post details of your neighbours
unsecured front door - or get upset if some-one posted details of your
unsecured garage - and the serial number of your car ignition key ?)).

Less law-abiding 'wardrivers' search for open file servers from which to
copy software or media files which is presumably illegal in most countries.
In the USA, accessing the files on an open network is illegal, however it
is not illegal to simply use the internet connection of an open wireless
network (the law differs in other countries - for example in UK you would
be caught by the the 'use of a computer for a purpose for which you do not
have permission' clause). This is a commonly misunderstood concept. Most
wardrivers do not in fact use services without authorization.

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/War_driving