[wplug] On the subject of wardriving...

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Tue Mar 29 08:24:44 EST 2005

Sometime in March Bill Moran assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| This is the kind of assumption that is liable to get you in legal trouble.
|
| It's like saying that you tried the door and it was unlocked, so it's
| obviously OK to come in ... and since nothing was bolted down, it's
| obviously OK to take whatever you want.

I don't believe that me walking into some random persons house and taking their
possesesions is any comparison to me using my girlfriends wireless
access when I'm in town. In the legal sense, I believe breaking and
entering is a criminal offense where breach of contract is a civil matter.

| If their TOS say it's not OK, then it doesn't matter what configuration
| they ship their stuff in.  If you want to test the waters to see what
| you can get away with, that's your decision, but the presumptions you're
| making are unlikely to stand up if they ever come to court.

Just in case someone was wondering. The verizon terms of service (at least
for the 412.441 exchange) have the following:

http://www2.verizon.net/policies/tos_printable.asp

3.6 If you subscribe to Broadband Service:

B. You may connect multiple computers/devices within a single home or office
   location to your Broadband modem and/or router to access the Service, but
   only through a single Broadband account and a single IP address obtained
   from Verizon.

Also, they mention nothing expilicitly about wireless access. I assume with
the stuff I said previously, and 3.6.B up there, that it is ok to share
wireless access.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B23241CB