[wplug] On the subject of wardriving...

Doug Green diego96 at mac.com
Tue Mar 29 09:13:44 EST 2005

I detest Verizon, but thought I'd share my experience with this issue:

Once upon a time I had Verizon, with multiple computers connected within my
home. I called their tech support for some connectivity issues that I was
having, and they were aware of my configuration (it didn't even occur to me
that this would violate their terms of service). They were perfectly OK with
my use, but they would not provide support for any "network" related issues
in my home. Their support was horrible anyways, so this didn't deter me
much.

Additionally, I have a friend (who will remain nameless- and no, he's not
imaginary) who "shares" Verizon to multiple (14 at last count) additional
users who split the bill. This individual lives in an apartment building
with other students, and has literally run cat-5 through the ductwork to
adjoining apartments. Somehow, Verizon does not seem to care! He claims that
they are aware of his use, but have never given him a hard time about it.

I'm pretty sure that if they DO develop an problem with your particular use,
they will first issue a cease/desist order before they take any kind of
additional legal action. While it may be within their "rights" do come after
you, it would probably not be successful (or cost effective) without first
trying to contact you to resolve the issue.

In summary, my perspective is that "creative use" is OK until explicitly
stated otherwise.

-Doug