[wplug] On the subject of wardriving...

eli eli.heady at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 18:28:30 EST 2005

The bill in question: HB30 (of '03-'04 session); signed into law by Gov.
Rendell Nov. 30, '04

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/BI/BT/2003/0/HB0030P4778.HTM

There might be other relevant sections, but my appetite for legal
documents and congressional bills is pretty small, so here's the first
pertinent section I found - page 20, line 14:

"(2)(i) Except as otherwise provided for under subparagraph (ii), a
political subdivision or any entity established by a political
subdivision, including a municipal authority, may not provide any
telecommunications services to the public for compensation within the
service territory of a local exchange telecommunications company
operating under a network modernization plan.
"(ii)  A political subdivision may offer advanced or broadband services
if the political subdivision has submitted a written request for the
provision of such service to the local exchange telecommunications
company serving the area and, within six months of the request, the
local exchange telecommunications company has not agreed to provide the
data speeds requested. If the local exchange telecommunications company
agrees to provide the data speeds requested, then it must do so within
18 months of the request.
"(3)  The prohibition in paragraph (2) shall not be construed to
preclude the continued provision of any municipally provided
telecommunications services of the same type and scope as were being
provided on the effective date of this section."