[wplug] Breakin attempts against the nobody account

Zachary Uram netrek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 15:04:18 EST 2005

As I a dialup-user I can relate to that. Sometimes my standard
deviation jumps up to higher than my lag and I see packet loss jump
from 0% to 3%. When I check the firewall it shows usually ICMP or UDP
hits. My log just had ips so I not sure where they originate. I have
noticed a lot of of spam from Taiwan, Korea and Hong Kong. They seem
to be very persistent. I got the same spam every day for over a year
from some moron in Korea. He kept forging the header every time. I
read in cases of DoS attacks that often an ISP will still suffer
overhead on their router/firewall/IDS because the upstream ISP or
backbone will refuse to apply rules on their router to block the
attacks. Could someone explain why this is? Maybe if they were held
legally responsible they'd be a bit more proactive in mitigation!

Zach