[wplug] VPN stuff

Michael P. O Connor mpop at mikeoconnor.net
Wed Mar 23 11:34:35 EST 2005

I have been readding about VPN this last week or so, and wondering if
any one has any knolage on the subject, I will be working on
implimenting a VPN server over the next few weeks.  The server will also
be a VPN gateway into the network, and will be an older computer.  Here
are some of the things I am thinking.

I am going to use the PPTP protocal (software for linux PoPTop, I was
warnd there are some issues with PoPToP, what are those issues, and how
can I avoid them) the reason for PPTP is since one of the requiurments
is that I want to connect windows boxes to the network, with out much
hassel, and PPTP is built in.  Unless some one can tell me where I could
get a good windows IPsec client, but it needs to pass smb traffic, and
all other kinds of traffic not just TCP/IP traffic.

I am not sure what distro to use, or even if I should use Linux (the
book I am reading is linux centered, but if a VPN server on BSD would be
easer I could be easly convince to use it, since it is a bit more secure
then Linux, BSD people start you sales pitch, I will listen)

Any other thing I might be missing.

Also I plan on only haveing port 22 and what ever port I need for the
VPN open on my router (right now I only have 22 open) and access to
everything in my network will be done via the VPN.
--
Michael P. O'Connor
mpop at mikeoconnor.net
http://www.mikeoconnor.net