[wplug] Ever heard of UNIM?

Duncan Hutty dhutty+wplug at ece.cmu.edu
Wed Mar 23 12:20:10 EST 2005

On 03/23/2005 12:06 PM, smk wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> First off I have not used their service and cannot comment on it.  But I
> do see a few red flags that you might want to look into.
>
> Doing a whois on unimllc.com shows the registrants email address to be
> @excite.com, a free email service.
> Also a traceroute points to
> "client69-44-16-85.hardhathosting.com".  Another hosting provider that
> offers reseller accounts.  I cannot say for sure that unimllc.com is
> actually a reseller or not but the signs are there.
> The DNS servers point to "hiteknet.com".  A totally different company with
> different contact information.
> Finally, the web site looks screwy on my firefox and the "partner" page is
> incomplete ;-)
>
> But OTOH, it does seem that they went through the trouble registering
> a LLC for the business and list a toll free telephone number.  I would
> defiently call them and see what they have to say about the service.
>
> Just my 2 cents.

this could be worth far more than 2 cents. It's generally applicable
good advice on a basic checkup. Indeed, if they are a legitimate outfit,
I would consider trying to get on their VIP support list by telling them
how they can improve their image before you get on their shitlist for
being a problem (power) customer.
--
Duncan Hutty
System Administrator, ECE