[wplug] The Ultimate Desktop I

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Fri Mar 18 18:28:48 EST 2005

I am about to upgrade my home desktop computer from Windows 2000 to Debian
3.  I would like my home directory on that machine (/home/brandon) to be
an nfs mount of my home directory on my server.  I expect to have a
/usr/local/home directory tree that doesn't get used for anything except
when the server is down for some reason.  I have a few questions related
to this arrangement:

I was just going to copy the relevant entries from the server's
/etc/passwd file onto the desktop.  Alternately, I suppose I could make
the server an NIS server as well?  I'm not exactly sure how that works.

Do I need to worry about two different computers each accessing the same
location as my 'home' directory?  I can only think of it as a problem with
respect to things like mail delivery, but I expect (a) that I'll configure
the desktop MTA to just deliver mail to the server and (b) that NFS file
locking will take care of any problems.

Are these notions correct?  Do I want to look into NIS?  other thoughts or
comments?

Thanks,
Brandon

Part II to follow.