[wplug] Rumors

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Fri Mar 18 14:32:35 EST 2005

Are you actually experiencing an oops with Fedora Core 3 or is it just
running out of resources?  I can only get it to run out of resources.

Looking at the default resource limits between FreeBSD 4.11 and FC3
shows me why FreeBSD handles this more gracefully.  The
login.conf/limits.conf on both systems give unlimited resources, but
ulimit -a shows me a big difference in number of permitted processes by
the kernel.  I limited a FC3 account to fewer processes and it handled a
fork bomb gracefully.  I imagine if you tripled kern.maxprocperuid in
FreeBSD you will see a difference.

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer III
CCAC - College Office