[wplug] local hardware source

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Thu Mar 10 21:39:25 EST 2005

Hello,

In my experience, some A2Z shops are owned by Russian families but not
all. I've never been able to figure out what is the relationship
between the many A2Z branches throughout the city. For my first and only
visit to the for-mentioned branch, it was indeed owned by a Russian family
but please keep in mind this was 7 years ago.

I applied for a job at A2Z on South Side on Carson Street circa 1998.
Although I was offered the job on the spot, I declined. Their nationality
had nothing to do with this decision. I continued to dread working at Best Buy
rather than work at that location. Imply from that what you will.

Sadly, I can name lots of local mom-and-pops that *used to be around* and
few shops that are currently in business. Some good. Some pretty
shady. Between Marketpro shows, ebay, Circuit City, Compusa, Best Buy, the
Apple Store, and the Dell dynasty, there is little room in the PC market for
the local little guy.

There is only one open local pc shop where I have had positive
experiences: Computer Comfort.

I'd be interested to hear about any other positive experiences.

Thanks,
Beth Lynn