[wplug] Reinstalling windows on a dual boot

Dileep Vangasseri dil5516 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 00:22:36 EST 2005

Hello,

Thank you all for your suggestions. However, I have
not yet able to make it work. Now I have windows XP at
hda1 and hda2. My partition table is something like
this:

/dev/hda1  NTFS
/dev/hda2  FAT
/dev/hda3  Linux  my /boot partition
/dev/hda4  W95 Ext'd
/dev/hda5  Linux (my / partition)
/dev/hda6  Linux (swap partition)
/dev/hda7  Linux (/home partition)

When I tried to boot linux using rescue CD, I get an
error message saying that it could not boot
completely, rather it has mounted the system to
/mnt/sysimage. I get one shell afterwards. As
suggested in FC site, I tried the following.

chroot /boot/sysimage
grub-install /dev/hda

It gave me an error saying that /dev/hda does not
exist.

grub-install --root-directory /mnt/sysimage hd0 also
did not work.

Can anyone suggest me how can I get back my grub boot
loader? I checked /grub/grub.conf and I feel that
linux is booting from (hd0,2) (I am not very sure...If
the previous grub.config is needed to solve this
issue, I can post the same).

Regards,

Dileep