[wplug] kontact

Rob Knapp myddrin at myddrin.com
Tue Jun 21 06:48:13 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 22:54 -0400, Michael H. Semcheski wrote:
> On Monday 20 June 2005 07:46 am, Rob Knapp wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > I've gotten it to build on debian (which I use at home), but not on
> > NetBSD, which I use for work.  (The build is very much geared towards
> > linux and freebsd.)
>
> I'll have to give a try on FreeBSD.  Have you, or anyone else, used it?  I'm
> interested in giving a whirl, but I'm going to ask around to see if anyone's
> got any experiences or thoughs on the matter BEFORE I dive in head first.

IIRC, FreeBSD is "officially" supported.  (It is infact, one of our
back-up options if we can't get it to build on Net.)

They use a packaging system called OpenPKG (www.openpkg.org), which is
RPM based, but exists in it's own directory structure (so you don't
interfere with existing installations.)

If you're on a supported platform, it's a matter of downloading about 10
megs of source code and running a shell script (it bootstraps the rest).
Total build time was about 1-2 hours.

(But from experience, I'd definitely find someone who has built it first
on your platform.  For the life of me I couldn't get it to build on the
supported Fedora Core 3.)