[wplug] kontact

Rob Knapp myddrin at myddrin.com
Mon Jun 20 15:29:40 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 15:09 -0400, Greg Simkins wrote:
> exchange4Linux has a price tag if you want to connect to XP boxes:

Most of them have some cost associated with connecting with outlook.
(The cheapest, IIRC is kolab where you can use a beta connector
(konsec.com) for free (unsupported), or a supported connector for
something like $15(tolltec.com) (US) a seat.  Other projects seem to be
following the same trend, using the money from the connector to fund
development.

exchange4linux is the same, (you don't have to buy the 599 euro server
you mention, you just have to pay them for the connector AFAICT).

(There is at least one project working to create an open connector, but
it hasn't even released a beta yet.)

For my needs we are willing to accept that if we can get a certain
number of clients off of exchange and onto an linux/unix-based solution.
Cost is a factor, but not the primary one.

We inherited several clients that "need" outlook.  Especially the shared
calendar aspects.  We've explained that we are not an MS shop and that
switching backends would allow us to serve them more effectively.  They
are considering and we are trying to get them a reasonable quote.  [They
are completely unwilling to consider switching clients.]  So, as long as
we keep the price "reasonable" (ie about the same that they are paying
for exchange + win2k server licenses + our wasted time), they are
willing to look at this.