[wplug] OT - request for comment on an idea

Chris Romano romano.chris at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 15:37:42 EDT 2005

On 6/3/05, Christopher DeMarco <cmd at alephant.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 01:57:39PM -0400, Chris Romano wrote:
>
> > I would like to manage our DNS internally and not have verizon host
> > it.  I would setup two DNS servers; one server will be here (primary)
> > and the second one will be at an off-site datacenter (secondary).
>
> If you're doing so, you may want to consider djbdns
> (cr.yp.to/djbdns.html) instead of BIND:
> a) less-frequent updates and almost no remote exploits
> b) very lightweight
> c) simpler (imho) zone transfers

I am/was planning on using djbdns

> > On the secondary server I want to have a copy of our
> > website/db/email systems.  The services will not be running by
> > default but will have up-to-date data.  The reason for this is, I
>
> How will you synchronize the content?  Typically the content synch is
> more of a challenge than the high availability.  Please explicate your
> plans; I (as well as other list members, I suspect) have decent
> experience in this realm.

Well, our website doesn't change that often so I was thinking about using rsync.

> Why are you doing this?  What are you trying to insure against?

I guess for two things.  Each might need a seperate solution.

1. Network outage between us and Verizon. (happend twice w/in a year already)
2. DR - Fire in our building and our server room goes up in smoke. (we
do offsite nightly backups).

For:
1. the best solution might be a second link through a different company.
2. ??? might be setting something up with verizon to reroute the IP.