[wplug] OT - request for comment on an idea

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Fri Jun 3 14:52:28 EDT 2005

The concept of primary and secondary in name servers only applies to
which server has the master copy of the zone record.  When a 3rd party
name server does a recursive lookup for your domain it is going to get a
list of NS records for your domain and choose a name server at "random"
(it's not entirely random but that's another matter).  You can't set a
priority or make one name server more authoritative than another.

As for your question about caching records, the best you can do there is
set the time to live (TTL) as low as you can tolerate.  Set it too low
and could have many DNS requests to deal with, and possibly more failed
or slower DNS lookups.  Another factor is that some name servers will
completely ignore your specified TTL and cache answers for much longer
(sometimes days), there is nothing you can do about that.  They're
typically far and few between however.

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer III
CCAC - College Office