[wplug] let's get technical and see if anyone is as smart as they think they are

Jonathan Billings jsbillings at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:40:58 EDT 2005

On 6/2/05, Rob Prowel <tempest766 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> if I
> # cat file.avi | mplayer -
> or
> # strace mplayer file.avi
>
> then the content is displayed, but mplayer itself will
> not directly display the content.  asking this on the
> mplayer mailing list was useless as most of the
> questions on there are of a technical level like "what
> encoder option do I use to make dvd format video?"

Two things come to mind:
1.) your shell is passing an argument on to mplayer but is
interpreting it in some way, such that it can't find it.  Try renaming
the file to something simple.

2.) mplayer behaves differently when reading a stream or when run
under 'strace', such that it uses different syscalls to open the file.
 Maybe it's a 64-bit syscall operation in one, but not in the other?

--
  Jonathan Billings
jsbillings at gmail.com