[wplug] Very strange DNS activity

Devin Lee Drew dLd at pobox.com
Thu Jul 28 14:40:43 EDT 2005

On Jul 28, 2005, at 11:09 AM, Bill Moran wrote:

> Patrick Wagstrom <pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 12:40 -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
>>
>>> I'd be grateful to anyone who can explain what the government is
>>> doing with
>>> their DNS.  It appears as if www.treas.gov is an alias for
>>> treas.tpaq.treasury.gov, but treas.tpaq.treasury.gov does not have a
>>> DNS record.
>>>
>>> However, if you go to www.treas.gov in a web browser, all works
>>> well.
>>>
>>> Anyone have enough DNS-fu to explain this oddity?
>>>

>> Looks like a problem with your setup.  Everything looks kosher here.
>>

> [snip]
>
> Looks like it was a transient problem, as I can no longer reproduce
> it.
>
> I suspected this might be the case, since the expiry times on the
> records
> was set to 20 seconds (which is normally insane, but a nice idea while
> switching DNS entries around).

[snip]

The following may be an indication of an understaffing issue? Anyway,
it probably means that they are changing records and you got caught
in a propagation snafu.

http://www.dotgov.gov/
--
NOTICE: All unpaid .Gov domain names must be paid for via credit card
ASAP or they will be subject to service interruption.

--

There is a whois record webtool at that site. My command line "whois
treas.gov" keeps giving "whois: gov.whois-servers.net: connect:

https://www.dotgov.gov/whois.aspx
Currently, TREAS.GOV is not available for registration.
TREAS.GOV
Department of the Treasury
TTB
Domain Name: TREAS.GOV
Technical POC:
(703) 747-9222

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.TREAS.GOV   199.196.144.3
NS2.TREAS.GOV   199.196.144.4
NS21.TREAS.GOV   199.196.132.3

To follow up on strange DNS information it is good to do your 'dig'
against a name server that you get from whois. This gave me the same
ANSWER SECTION as Patrick, as it should.

Devin --No master of DNS-fu -- you now know my main move -- Drew

$ dig @NS1.TREAS.GOV www.treas.gov

; <<>> DiG 9.3.0 <<>> @NS1.TREAS.GOV www.treas.gov
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.treas.gov.                 IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.treas.gov.          10      IN      CNAME   treas.tpaq.treasury.gov.
treas.tpaq.treasury.gov. 30     IN      A       66.77.70.101

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
tpaq.treasury.gov.      84896   IN      NS      st3dns.usmint.gov.
tpaq.treasury.gov.      84896   IN      NS      dn3dns.usmint.gov.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
dn3dns.usmint.gov.      2096    IN      A       66.77.122.131
st3dns.usmint.gov.      2096    IN      A       208.45.143.103

;; Query time: 106 msec
;; SERVER: 199.196.144.3#53(NS1.TREAS.GOV)
;; WHEN: Thu Jul 28 11:00:23 2005
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 162