[wplug] Very strange DNS activity

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Jul 28 14:09:59 EDT 2005

Patrick Wagstrom <pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 12:40 -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> > I'd be grateful to anyone who can explain what the government is doing with
> > their DNS.  It appears as if www.treas.gov is an alias for
> > treas.tpaq.treasury.gov, but treas.tpaq.treasury.gov does not have a
> > DNS record.
> >
> > However, if you go to www.treas.gov in a web browser, all works well.
> >
> > Anyone have enough DNS-fu to explain this oddity?
>
> Looks like a problem with your setup.  Everything looks kosher here.

[snip]

Looks like it was a transient problem, as I can no longer reproduce it.

I suspected this might be the case, since the expiry times on the records
was set to 20 seconds (which is normally insane, but a nice idea while
switching DNS entries around).

Apparently the gov's tech plan to move servers around didn't go 100%
smoothly, but it seems to be OK now.

Thanks for the input.

--
Bill Moran