[wplug] Database front ends

Duncan Hutty dhutty+wplug at ece.cmu.edu
Tue Jul 26 09:35:38 EDT 2005

On 07/26/2005 08:45 AM, Bill Moran wrote:
> David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com> wrote:

>>Portability's a plus, I'll admit that. If I were ever going to
>>transition an all-MS outfit out of its old habits, then a python
>>solution would probably work well.
>

> I've heard good things about Ruby as well.
>
> My problem is that I have an unshakable romance with C/C++ structured
> languages.  I get uncomfortable with languages that don't use semicolons
> and {} to define structure.  Not really explicable ...

Enough of your kink, moran.

I think the topic of this thread is requiring wild over-generalisation.
There are many reasons to interact with databases, and each will have
different requirements. I don't think it makes sense to seek the "best"
way. Don't forget that an important part of "best tool for the job" is
"for the job".

The most obvious distinction is user access vs. developer/administrator
access. These 2 roles have vastly different purposes and therefore
require different data presentation styles.

--
Duncan Hutty