[wplug] dialup security

Jonathan Billings jsbillings at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 18:08:45 EDT 2005

On 7/18/05, Zachary Uram <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Most of the stuff I read and configs I see security-wise (firewall,
> SNORT, IDS, etc) assume one has a 24x7 net connection! I am wondering
> if anyone has found some good security resources for dialup users
> using PPP? I'm running Debian unstable with 2.4.18 kernel.

I know that it's common for "hackers" to scan the dynamic IP range
assigned to dialup accounts, because they figure that people on dialup
are less concerned about security since they don't have a 24x7
connection.  I know I've seen the effect of dialin hosts getting
infected or hacked -- it's hard to track down the user because by the
time we notice it they're offline.

I'd do the same thing you'd do with a 24x7 connection -- run a
personal firewall, make sure your antivirus is good (if you're running
windows) and use good passwords.

--
  Jonathan Billings
jsbillings at gmail.com