[wplug] Update the kernel?

Brad Hoover b_hoovs at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 20:40:01 EST 2005

Hi Folks,

I first want to thank everybody who responded to my
question about X before.  With your suggestions and
some help from a friend, I now can use the resolution
I wanted.

Right now I am working my way through a list of things
that I need to get working correctly, and I have found
that I sometimes need to get new packages or update
old ones.  I'm using YUM by the way, and I have found
that using it on the command line is somewhat superior
to using the gui.

Fedora has it's 'up2date' system, which shows a red
exclamation point when there are updates to installed
packages.  Truth be told, at this point I honestly
don't know what three quarters of the packages do.  I
for the most part chose the defaults when doing my
install.

Anyway, I generally skip updating the kernel when I
run up2date, but I have found that some packages (not
that I really need these packages - I think?) need a
newer kernel. I'm running 2.6.9.1-681.  It shows
2.6.10 as being available.  Should I update?  Should I
update for every patch?  I looked at the change log on
kernel.org, but at this point in my linux experience,
I'm not sure what much of it means.

Thanks again,

Brad