[wplug] cheap DSL in Pittsburgh?

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Thu Jan 20 14:30:10 EST 2005

> IMHO, companies like Verizon will always be able to offer the most
> bandwidth for your buck because they are an ILEC.  Other smaller
> Internet providers will have to buy their backbone from Verizon or
> someone who is their competition.

	Not quite. For DSL and phone providers, yet. Compare the price per
kbps between cable Internet and DSL -- or wireless for that matter.

> I live in the North Hills and I have Nauticom.  At 3mb down and 512Kb
> out, it costs something like $40/month.  It's not too bad.  In the last
> few months, I heard the Verizon will be offering fiber to the home
> service at 30Mb down 3Mb up for around $50.  I don't know if that is
> true (I can't get Verizon here), but if it is, sign me up! :D

	That won't be offered here. Pittsburgh does not have the density
or the cashflow for them to even bother with laying new fiber to each and
every home.

	This is why I got interested in wireless networking way back when.
Prolly the cheapest possible way to deploy the most ammount of bandwidth.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		Location Based WiFi