[wplug] cheap DSL in Pittsburgh?

Carl Benedict cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com
Thu Jan 20 15:13:09 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 14:30, Drew from Zhrodague wrote:
> > IMHO, companies like Verizon will always be able to offer the most
> > bandwidth for your buck because they are an ILEC.  Other smaller
> > Internet providers will have to buy their backbone from Verizon or
> > someone who is their competition.
>
> 	Not quite. For DSL and phone providers, yet. Compare the price per
> kbps between cable Internet and DSL -- or wireless for that matter.

I was speaking strictly on the topic of telco and xDSL.

> > I live in the North Hills and I have Nauticom.  At 3mb down and 512Kb
> > out, it costs something like $40/month.  It's not too bad.  In the last
> > few months, I heard the Verizon will be offering fiber to the home
> > service at 30Mb down 3Mb up for around $50.  I don't know if that is
> > true (I can't get Verizon here), but if it is, sign me up! :D
>
> 	That won't be offered here. Pittsburgh does not have the density
> or the cashflow for them to even bother with laying new fiber to each and
> every home.

Maybe not in Pittsburgh, but Cranberry definitely has some fiber loops
close to a lot of residential area.

> 	This is why I got interested in wireless networking way back when.
> Prolly the cheapest possible way to deploy the most ammount of bandwidth.

I'll agree with that, especially these days.  But this isn't an option
for a lot of folks, unfortunately.  At least none that I know
personally.

--
Carl Benedict
Pittsburgh Techs