[wplug] Re: Q: how to make image copy of disc to CD/DVD?

Mike Sussman msussman at na-net.ornl.gov
Thu Jan 13 17:06:33 EST 2005

> Message: 11
> Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:06:20 -0500
> From: Don Shepherd <dlshepherd at adelphia.net>
> Subject: [wplug] Q: how to make image copy of disc to CD/DVD?
> To: wplug at wplug.org
>
> I want to make an image copy of my disc to CD/DVD.  I need to save my
> work for later re-use.  I would rather not re-do all of the work.
>
> I have a CD/DVD burner attached via USB.  What tools might I use to do this?
>
> My environment is RHEL WS 3.0 on a laptop.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> +------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Don Shepherd            |                           \o/    |
> |                         |  ___   __o  __o  __o       V     |
> |                         |----    \<,  \<,  \<,      `\\,   |
> | DLShepherd at adelphia.net |    ___O/_O_O/_O_O/_O____  O/ O   |
> +------------------------------------------------------------+

Don, your question is not so clear.  Do you want to save YOUR WORK
or do you want to save EVERYTHING ON THE DISK?  It you only want to
save your work, just write a CD-ROM with your files on it.  You
can use mkisofs and cdrecord for this, or there are other tools.
If you want to save everything, gnu parted is a nice tool  It will
make a copy of a disk partition to a file and then you can save the
file on a CD-ROM.  Of course, you cannot put the file on the partition
you are imaging, so if you have no other place to put it you are stuck.
I have had good luck restoring such partitions.  This is something like
Norton Ghost for MicroSoft.

good luck.
--
Mike Sussman