[wplug] My Debian died

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at alumni.cmu.edu
Wed Jan 12 02:38:32 EST 2005

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 05:15, Michael E Uhl wrote:
> Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that you can use
> the "upgrade" command of apt-get to upgrade a single package.  In my
> experience "apt-get upgrade" always upgrades all packages for which
> there are updates available.  I believe that you can upgrade a single
> package by typing "apt-get install <package-name>", but I'm not
> positive.  I hope this helps.

That is correct.

apt-get update && apt-get install xmms
will get you the latest version of xmms and its dependencies only.

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade will upgrade all packages with new
versions, without installing any additional packages (anything having
new dependencies will not be upgraded).

-A