[wplug] My Debian died

Michael E Uhl meu102 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 11 22:15:14 EST 2005

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that you can use the
"upgrade" command of apt-get to upgrade a single package.  In my
experience "apt-get upgrade" always upgrades all packages for which
there are updates available.  I believe that you can upgrade a single
package by typing "apt-get install <package-name>", but I'm not
positive.  I hope this helps.

-michael

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 19:12, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Brian Sammon wrote:
>
> >> Second, did something crazy just happen recently with the Debian packages?
> >> Out of the blue, my xmms just stopped working, telling me that it can't
> >> find libmikmod.so.2 --I've never had this problem before, but I go to
> >
> > This libmikmod message is probably a red herring.  On my computers I use xmms
> > successfully without having libmikmod installed, and I get the message
> > complaining about libmikmod every time I start it (from within an xterm).
> >

> Yeah, it's the only program I've ever used for mp3 playback in Linux
> (either from command line or otherwise).  The error message took me by
> surprise and I'm willing to believe it's inaccurate.  But...
>
> > What version of xmms do you have installed?
> > How are you trying to use xmms?  (i.e.  clicking on icon, running from command
> > line, using such-and-such command-line options)
> > Can you give us more details on how it fails?  Does it put up a window?  Does
> > it crash?  (and what do you mean by crash?)
> >
> > I've noticed in the past that xmms does not give good diagnostic errors.  When
> > something is wrong, it does not tell you in a way that is understandable.
> > Have you verified that other audio programs still work?
>
> Other programs still work.  The thing is, upgrading *anything* via apt-get
> tells me I need 404 MB of archives.  This is starting to sound like a
> remote issue...
>
> Doh!  Debian 3.0 was released on 1 January 2005.  I am going to look into
> reconfiguring my apt-get conf files.
>
> -Brandon

Michael Edward Uhl