[wplug] bug, cosmic ray or security breach?

Devin Lee Drew dld at pobox.com
Wed Jan 5 01:10:21 EST 2005

--- John Harrold <jmh17 at pitt.edu> wrote:

> Sometime in January Alexandros Papadopoulos assaulted the keyboard
<sn->
> | I'm facing a weird situation with one of my (Debian) servers.
<-ip>
> It sounds like a corrupted file. You can have two files where only

I agree with John --so much so that I'm likely to co-opt his
.signature--  the coincidence with a power anomoly means that you
probably can't even blame it on something as random as a gamma ray from
outer space.

My unsolicited advice: dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/newcheapdisk and do the
postmortem analysis at your leisure after making the machine useful.

Devin