[wplug] bug, cosmic ray or security breach?

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Tue Jan 4 10:31:05 EST 2005

Sometime in January Alexandros Papadopoulos assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Dear all
|
| I'm facing a weird situation with one of my (Debian) servers.
| After a power outage and the necessary reboot, some important
| system binaries started to segfault. These include /bin/grep, /bin/tar,
| /usr/bin/find and /usr/bin/perl.

| Eagerly awaiting ideas for further investigation of the suspect binaries...

It sounds like a corrupted file. You can have two files where only one bit
is different and get a different md5sum with the same file size. If the
flipped bit occurred in a "nonstring" area (for lack of a better word) of
the data then you wouldn't see anything different by using strings. Is it
possible the file system is corrupt? Have you run fsck on it?

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi