[wplug] Hibernating Fedora Core 3

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Feb 27 12:39:54 EST 2005

Hey all.

I just got a new workstation at work, and I'm running FC3 on it (more on
that later)

Since it's a newer desktop, it's got all the various ACPI stuff
available.  Since I'm kind of a tree hugger, I'd like to figure out how
to tell the system to hibernate, so I can save precious electricity while
I'm sleeping or otherwise not computing.

My web searches have resulted in HOWTOs involving patching the kernel and
lots of people complaining that hibernation doesn't work correctly on
their system.  I'm hoping someone has first-hand experience with this and
can point me to a reliable explanation on how to accomplish this without
problems.

Also, on our laptop (running FreeBSD) opening and closing the cover
causes the OS to go into and out of hibernation (very cool) but since
this desktop doesn't have a cover, I want to make sure I can wake it
back up before I hibernate it - will hitting a key on the keyboard work?

For those who know me and are shocked that I'm using FC3 as my desktop,
I'm not.  I'm using FC3 as a platform to run VMWare, and inside VMWare
is my FreeBSD desktop.  This makes life grand as it means I also have
Windows on this machine, and I don't have to reboot.  Very spiffy.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies