[wplug] Odd file server issues.

Michael A. Smith michael at smith-li.com
Tue Feb 22 00:19:46 EST 2005

I know this is probably not what you were hoping to hear, but, "me too".

I have a couple of AOpen motherboards with built in Broadcom 5702
gigabit ethernet that will occasionally lose touch with the network for
no apparent reason. It's especially noticeable during long winded file
transfers. That was months ago. After a few weeks of frustrated googling
I plugged in LinkSys PCI ethernet cards and forgot about gigabit for a
while (it was moot because the rest of my network was 100 at the time).

How would you describe the network connection dropping? Does the
interface lose its IP address? Does restarting the network interface fix
the problem for the time being, or do you have to do something more
drastic, such as restarting the whole computer? If the connection
doesn't always fail at exactly the same time interval, does it at least
fail within a certain predictable window?