[wplug] Compiler questions

Chris Winters chris at cwinters.com
Wed Feb 2 16:27:47 EST 2005

redtoade said:
> It seems that streamlining for your particular system's installed
> programs is more important to me than the compiler optimizations that
> other gentoo users promote.  I mean when I'm on a gnome only system,
> the end product of "USE = -kde" is smaller binaries, with fewer
> dependencies.  Which is better than the one binary fits all method.
> Plus it is all done within the bounds of an effective package
> management system, so it's easy to install/uninstall on the fly.  Am I
> misunderstanding how this works?

You've pinpointed the main reason I use gentoo. I couldn't care less about
the CPU optimizations, but being able to dynamically specify dependencies
is fantastic.

Back when I used Redhat I had far too many bad experiences where an RPM
forced me to install barely relevant software -- such as requiring
OpenLDAP or PostgreSQL for XEmacs, or the whole GNOME hullaballoo for
xchat. (Hopefully it's gotten better...)

Chris

--
Chris Winters (chris at cwinters.com)
Building enterprise-capable snack solutions since 1988.