[wplug] laptop fan humming?

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 10:42:43 EST 2005

Hi again!

I downloaded the GUI version of i8kfan (v2.10) for Dell and with both
fans on high the cpu temp is 72 C

However this is intolerably noisy to the point I can't even watch TV
or listen to music with it on.

So even in this case the best it can do is cool the CPU down to 72 C
which is still much higher than the recommended max CPU temp. of 60 C
according to the program's FAQ.

Next I kep the CPU fan running at high but shut off the very nosiy
exhaust fan and Within 5 minutes of doing so the CPU temp. was reading
92 C.

What do you think of these numbers?

I have a 750MHz Pentium 3 CPU that had CPU loads between 1 and 5%
during these tests.

Zach