[wplug] ? MythTV, PVR350 and Install Fest

Jason Jerome jjerome2 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 13:35:47 EST 2005

I tried putting together both a KnoppMyth and Fedora install using
older hardware (P3/nvidia/remote server for files). I was only looking
to create an application that played existing recordings I had in
divx/xvid/etc format.

The KnoppMyth installation never worked out.  I guess my hardware
decided not to cooperate fully.  I either couldn't get it to format my
hard drive without crashing, or it wouldn't boot from cd-rom at all.

I got the Fedora install to work, just the same as Shane has - using
the same website he did (http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php) and an
old nvidia card.  I would say this site would be best; he has
configuration guidelines for all types of hardware.

For me, it took a few days to get it all together, and I still question
whether I should have just purchased a new machine for the job.  I've
started to get interested in the newer h.264 codec, and the stuff I
have tried downloading has had sound synching issues.  I hear the newer
h.264 stuff is pretty processor intensive and the sound is common
issue.

Anyone know whatever happened to Freevo?  That used to be the old
favorite before MythTV started making inroads.  I found their site, but
I'm not sure why it doesn't get as much press as Myth.