[wplug] HowTo - Spec out a Linux Server

Chris Romano romano.chris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 10:56:07 EST 2005

On 12/1/05, Matthew T. Engel <mengel at allegheny.edu> wrote:

> Also if anyone has experience with Dell,IBM or other linux server
> vendor, I would be very interested to hear you experiences.

I can't help you with the NFS question but I do have some comments on the
vendors.

First, I never bought a machine from a vendor with linux installed.  I have
always ordered servers with no OS and installed linux myself.  Where I work
we have both Dells and HPs.  As far as hardware support in the OS and
machine reliability goes, I have never really had any problems.  Now, for
service and support ... big problem.  I will NEVER order another dell server
again.  Long story short ... I ordered two identical machines and they
forgot the CD-Roms.  Not really a big problem, they nevered billed me for
them. I should have caught that.  I call and tried to purchase two CD-Roms
... After 3+ hours, 3 ticket numbers, and talking to 8+ people, I gave up.
It should not be that hard to buy parts.  From now on I only order servers
through CDW.  I have an account manager that I talk to on a regular basis
and if I have a problem I talk to him.  I have talked to other IT Managers
and most have had the same experice with Dell.  We are a small company so,
you might have a different experience or have an account manager there.

Hope that helps,
Chris