[wplug] HowTo - Spec out a Linux Server

Gregsim gregsim at telerama.com
Thu Dec 1 21:30:05 EST 2005

Hi Chris,

Boy, I appreciate this comment.  I have been frustrated with Dell myself.  They are always switching people and the pricing is like a car dealer - you never know whether you have a fair price.

I have a pretty decent Dell server with with Xeon 2.4 GHz processor running Windows 2003 Server and I am serving web sites on IIS and mail on Smartmax.  I have to reboot at least weekly to clear up the memory leaks (or whatever causes the handles to go up and the available memory to go down).  I want to get a machine to offload the mail server because I think that might be the source of the problem.  I would like to get a second new machine for LInux and Postfix.  If you call Dell, they will put you into a $7K machine in a heartbeat.  The machines that came up on CDW were less than $1K, but were Celerons, probably not enough.  I just want a good basic reliable machine.  I put in a request to CDW to recommend something.

Thanks again for the tip.

Greg