[wplug] Woke up this morning to a noisy machine...hard drives?

Burt E Reany breany at csc.com
Fri Apr 29 08:44:09 EDT 2005

  Are you implying that there might be a VIRTUE to an open architecture?
TURN IN YOUR BILL GATES DECODER RING!!!

for such purpose.

                      Duncan Hutty
                      <dhutty+wplug             To:      General user list <wplug at wplug.org>
                      @ece.cmu.edu>             cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject: Re: [wplug] Woke up this morning to a noisy machine...hard drives?
                      wplug-bounces+bre
                      any=csc.com

                      04/29/2005 01:28
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      General user list

On 04/28/2005 04:30 PM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On 4/28/05, Russ Schneider <russ at sugapablo.com> wrote:
>
>>Actually, this turned out to be the power supply fan.  And replacing it
on
>>my Dell has proven frustrating as hell.  The supply itself has grooves in
>>it to snap into the case so I can't just buy another generic power
supply,
>>and the fan is hardwired to the board inside the supply so I cant even
>>replace the fan inside the damned thing.
>

> One of the frustrating things about buying Dell hardware is that you
> have to buy Dell replacement parts, it's nearly impossible to use
> standard off-the-shelf parts in a dell apart from PCI cards, hard
> drives and sometimes memory.  But if you have a hardware contract with
> Dell, it's often nice to be able to just tell them you need a
> replacement, and they'll have it to you the next day.  Not very nice
> for the single-seat user, but nice in a department full of dell
> workstations and servers.

I'm still waiting for a motherboard after a week

--
Duncan Hutty
System Administrator, ECE

Please use informative subject lines