[wplug] suggestions on Unix/Linux machines at Pitt labs?

Scott F. Kiesling kiesling+ at pitt.edu
Tue Apr 19 16:08:39 EDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 12:55:18PM -0400, Michael Semcheski wrote:
> From: Michael Semcheski <lists at immuneit.com>
> Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:55:18 -0400
> To: General user list <wplug at wplug.org>
> Subject: Re: [wplug] suggestions on Unix/Linux machines at Pitt labs?
>
> Bobbie Eicher wrote:
> > And yes, the fact that the default size of the Mozilla cache is large
> > enough (or was, at least, at the time I first used those computers
> > ~2(?) years ago) that it caused me to have to log into those computers
> > via command line to kill the cache files off so I could get back to
> > Mozilla and tell it not to cache anymore is a pretty sad setup.
>
> I don't even know where these computers are, but I just wonder if anyone
> has brought this to the attention of Computing Services?  If I had any
> personal information regarding this problem, I would call the University
> Help desk (624-HELP), open a ticket, and see what happens.  Call back
> once per week to check on the status.  Describe to them what needs to be
> done to fix the situation, and then hammer it home.
>
> It may feel like David vs. Goliath, but the truth is that most of the
> people in that department take pride in doing things well but have a
> daunting amount of work to keep on top of.  If you give them a nudge in
> the right direction, it will get fixed.  Maybe not as quickly as you
> think it should, but it won't take more than a month.
>
> Mike

I second that approach -- the people from the helpdesk
actually called ME last week to make sure my problem got
resolved!

SFK

--
Scott F. Kiesling

Assistant Professor
Department of Linguistics
University of Pittsburgh

2816 Cathedral of Learning     Phone: 1-412-624-5916
Pittsburgh, PA 15260 USA       Fax: 1-412-624-6130

kiesling at pitt.edu
http://www.pitt.edu/~kiesling/skpage.html
http://www.linguistics.pitt.edu