[wplug] Open Source vs Closed Source Economics

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Thu Apr 14 11:51:52 EDT 2005

	No real comments on anyone's post (hence my top post) but an
interesting perspective from me now that I've been selling Linux to
Enterprise customers for over 5 years: 90 of my customers just install
the OS and run it pretty much as-is.  They might tweak some config
files, alter a few kernel flags, but for the most part that's it.  I can
count on one hand the number of customers we've had that have hit a real
impasse with OpenSource code.  Biggest issue I've had in the last few
years was lack of LVM in RHEL 2.1.  But that's just my take...
	"Tweak and Expand"?  For me it's "Load and Run".

	I'm sure things are different for the SMB market where cost
constraints many times force "altering technologies" to your will... but
I never see that stuff.  I never get anyone trying to attach a digital
camera to an Oracle server.

JMO
Don