[wplug] Intro to running (s)ftp service?

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Thu Apr 14 14:20:13 EDT 2005

"Peter Williams" <broadway at city-net.com> wrote:
> If I start by learning ftp, how much of that will carry over to working
> with sftp?  I do wish to learn both.

I'm not really a server guy, so take whatever I say with a grain of
salt.  The sftp client is made to look like ftp to users, but works
in a completely different way.  It's unlikely that learning to set
up an ftp server would help you set up sshd (other than gaining
general knowledge of your system).

If I were setting up a server, I wouldn't use FTP.  A lot of today's
firewalls and port filtering thingies interfere with the way it
operates (even with passive mode sometimes, I've found).  The often-
used wuftpd server is in a similar class as bind and sendmail as far
as security problems go.

So if you want authenticated uploads and downloads, I'd say go with
sshd.  If all you need are anonymous downloads, a web server will do
nicely.