[wplug] OT- Jumpdrive

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Sat Apr 9 00:50:08 EDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Doug Green wrote:

> Hey all-
> I¹ve got a defunked Lexar Jumpdrive. Plugging it in does nada- no flashy
> light on the drive, computers don¹t recognize it at all- regardless of OS,
> this thing just stopped working. Any ideas? Bad contact? If so, any ideas on
> how to fix it and recover my data??
> Thanks,
> Doug

Is it possible that it's simply a damaged power connection?  Small USB
devices get power from the USB port, so if the power lead isn't making it
from the USB port to the device, that would kill it.  A USB specification
and a soldering iron (or at least a multimeter) may be of use.

I don't know about jump drives in particular, but it seems to me there
should be no reason for a purely solid-state electronic device to fail
except for physical damage (shock, chemicals, big nasty gouges on the
circuit board).  In fact, my experience as an engineer suggests that even
the danger of static discharge is a myth, or at least, severely
overstated.

... google interlude ...

wow, information on jump drives' internals is surprisingly difficult to
come by on google.  Maybe it should be a WPLUG project to open this
ostensibly damaged device and put some pictures on the Web.  (with a tiny
chance of actually fixing the thing besides...).  At least you can start
with the USB spec: google for USB_20.pdf.  Section 6.5 seems to be about
the wiring configuration.

missing my days of hardware hacking,
-Brandon