[wplug] ssh another computer by alias doen't work

Deliang Shi sdliang02 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 16:10:02 EDT 2004

Have two computers connected by DSL router and want
them to know each other by alias.
One was assigned the name "element" by modifying
/etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network
[root at element home]# cat /etc/hosts
# Do not remove the following line, or various
programs
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain
localhost
127.0.0.1               element
[root at element home]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=element
The other was assigned name "discrete" with similar
procedure.

They use the alias in the terminal. But I can't ssh
one from the other one by alias.
[root at element home]# ssh discrete
ssh: discrete: Name or service not known

ssh by the ip address is OK.
[root at element home]# ssh 192.168.2.3
root at 192.168.2.3's password:
[root at discrete root]#

What more need I do to enable ssh by alias?

Thanks for any suggestions.