[wplug] back-up to DVD

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Wed Sep 29 11:45:58 EDT 2004

I think that depends on if you're willing to allow Amanda to decide what
needs to be a full (level 0) backup and what needs to be incremental (>
0).  Amanda certainly does incremental backups, but as the FAQ says it's
tricky to convince it to only do full backups on your own schedule.

As for appending to tapes I can see their side of the argument.  You
lose the one tape with 7 days of backups on it and you just may have
lost 1 week's worth of work.  Plus there's no way to guarantee that  the
tape drive doesn't accidentally rewind on you, making you overwrite good
data.  However I think the  decision should be left to the operator.

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer II
CCAC - College Office
412-237-3086