[wplug] fsck running in background?

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Wed Sep 22 09:27:14 EDT 2004

Sometime in September Alexandros Papadopoulos assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| On Tuesday 21 September 2004 23:14, John Harrold wrote:
| > Hey,
| >
| > I was trying to access a drive that I auto mount (/dev/hdc1) but when
| > I tried to access the mount point the terminal just sort of hung
| > there. I connected through another terminal and noticed that fsck was
| > running.
|
| Did you have a look at /var/log/messages and dmesg? Since it's not a
| boot partition, it sort of makes sence to boot and then fsck the
| corrupt filesystems.

Indeed. If I were a brighter individual, I would have checked the logs
before posting my question. It seems that the fsck is being initiated _by_
autofs. Empirical evidence suggests that every time I try to access the
mountpoint, an fsck process is spawned (if one isnt currently running).

Now on to the logs. I found the following repeated multiple times in the logs:

kernel: hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
kernel: hdc: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError },
             LBAsect=470548553, high=28, low=786505, sector=470548480
kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:01 (hdc), sector 470548480

After a bit of googling it appears this is either a drive failure or a bad
cable. Since the drive and cable are both new, either is possible. There
isn't really any data on the disk, so it's not an "imminent threat" so to
say ;). Can anyone else suggest any other causes? I suppose I should say
that I have an identical system (mb, cable, hd, OS, etc.) That doesn't
display these problems.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E